Does Adderall have an effect on ejection fraction?

Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 3 May 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: What effect if any does adderal have on ejection fraction?
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Amphetamines causes cardiomyopathy and decreases ejection fraction.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking the query,

As per your question Amphetamine and its derivatives in long term decreases the ejection fraction of heart usually because of enlargement of heart muscles called cardiomyopathy.

Ejection fraction can be increased by using 3 classes of drugs-

1) Trimetazidine- doses of around 35mg given twice daily causes elevation of ejection fraction.

2) ACE inhibitor abd AT1 antagonists- Prevent cardiac remodelling and improves EF in long term usually used are Ramipril, Losartan etc.

3) Potassium sparing diuretic like Eplerenone .

Though used in developing countries Trimetazidine is not approved by FDA.
Please discuss these options with your cardiologist.

Regards..

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D