Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Does 'Abnormal ECG,Sinus Rhythm,normal P axis,V-rate 50-99,Abnormal Q" suggest heart attack?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
My 18 year old son got his yearly physical and the dr. said everything was fine, but the print out of his visit shows - Abnormal ECG - Sinus Rhythm, normal P axis, V-rate 50-99, Abnormal Q suggests anterior infarct, Q > 30mS in V2-V4 ? Doesn't this mean he had a heart attack?? I'm going to make him go to a cardiologist, but meanwhile, been stressing out, reading on the internet, but most of this ECG stuff is greek to me. :(
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Dont panic Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. The print out that you are mentioning is basically an automated report by the machine and not that of a human. The technology of automated machinery reporting is still not well developed to rely upon. If your doctor has gone through the ECG report and feels its fine, and especially if there are no symptoms as of now, then there is no need to worry about. Secondly the automated response suggests that there are changes in the "Q" which are old changes and if that has to be agreed upon then there was an old ischemic injury to heart and nothing acute. And hence nothing urgent has to be done at present. At age 18 with no symptoms and human report stating that things are fine, the n there is no need to panic. You are as such planning to visit a cardiologist, so have patience and there is nothing urgent to do as of now. Most probably things should be fine. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor