Does ADHD in a child require medication?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in ADHD
Question: Hi Dr.
My 5 year old granddaughter has ADHD. My daughter Her Mom refuses to believe it. The pediatrician and the preschool teacher also don't feel she has ADHD. They say even if she does have it the Dr. won't medicate her till she is older. I am an RN ,have been for 46 years. Also, taught Remedial Math & Reading and was a teachers assistant in Special Ed. years ago. Now my daughter doesn't speck to me and I can only have the grandkids every other weekend, since I promised I won't bring the ADHD up again. Please help me help my granddaughter......
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A diagnosis first needs to be made

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. I appreciate your suspicion regarding your granddaughter, and that it could mean that interventions might be needed. Let me tell you that ADHD is rather easy to diagnose and the diagnosis should be confirmed. The diagnosis is usually done in two steps. There are a number of ADHD screening tools like Vanderbilt ADHD Diagnostic Parent Rating Scale and Vanderbilt ADHD Diagnostic Teacher Rating Scale (https://www.brightfutures.org/mentalhealth/pdf/professionals/bridges/adhd.pdf) which can be administered by the respective caregivers. Based on the findings, a confirmatory diagnosis can be made by a specialist (usually a child psychiatrist) based on DSM 5 criteria. Since there is even a slightest degree of suspicion, I think that you need to urge your daughter to get her evaluated.

Treatment would depend on the severity of symptoms. It could comprise of behavioral modifications from the part of the caregivers (not the child) or behavioral adaptations for the child. Cognitive behavioral therapy for the child can be helpful. Medications are usually given if they do not suffice.

I hope that I could clear your doubts. Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 10 hours later
Thank you so much Dr. XXXXXXX I can only hope that my daughter will listen to you. I know that you have helped me.......Thank you sooooooooo much. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
Feel free to contact me back if you need any further assistance.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T