Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Doctor suggested for surgery on crumbling spine. What will they do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Spine Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 322 Questions
I am 86 years young - my doctor thinks I may have to have surgery on my crumbling spine. What will they do?
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 44 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us.
Crumbling spine also called as degenerative scoliosis and it happens due to wear and tear of spine with increasing age.
Surgery depends upon patient symptoms. If you have significant leg complaint due to nerve compression then in that case we usually do decompression by removing posterior elements of the spine. However if you have severe back pain due curved spine then we may have to put screws in your spine to correct the curve partially. We call this as spinal fusion surgery.
Decision is made based on the symptoms and medical condition of the patient. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor