Do you know why collagen is creating the abnormal heart rhythms?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 25 Jul 2018 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: I was taking hydrolyzed collagen peptides for leaky gut. Soon after I started taking it I started having severe A-Fib episodes. I did not realized the connection until one month into it and 4 more episodes of A-Fib. Since I stopped taking the collagen I did not have any more episodes. Do you know why collagen is creating the abnormal heart rhythms?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that this is not a common adverse effect of hydrolyzed collagen.

But, sometimes this supplement can lead to an allergic reaction and intolerance, which may trigger cardiac arrhythmia in susceptible persons.

Its content are peptides and amino-acids, which do not have any adverse effects on the heart muscle.

An allergic reaction is the main reason, which leads to increased heart rate and cardiac arrhythmia in susceptible persons.

Hope to have clarified some of your uncertainties!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri