Do white spots on the upper lip indicate herpes infection?
Fordyce spots/thrush as possible causes...
I understand your concern. You should not be scared at this extent. I was going through the photo you sent in, and although I found it not too clear to see further into the spots, I can say as following:
1. The little white points on your upper lips seem to be Fordyce spots. They are harmless and I believe you are not having any pain or burning sensation in there. They might occur due to entrapped oil int he sebaceous glands on your upper lip.
There is no cure for fordyce spots, unless signs of inflammation/infection would be present.
2. You are wearing braces on your teeth. Such foreign bodies inside the oral cavity make you become more prone to thrush (candida infection). This is true if you are also having symptoms like burning at that side.
In such cases, applying oral anti-fungal medications like nystatin drops or miconazole gel can be treatment of choice.
Hope it was of help!
I had pimple that I tried to push out but it didnt work, the pimple is situated just above the upper lip. I am on holidays now I got a sunburn yesterday on my face. So it is a bit burning at the external part of my upper lip, the part situated between de upper lip and the nose. I hope it is because of the sunburn and not herpes right?
Are you sure these are fordyce spots? If yes I think I will have to buy nystatin drops or miconazole gel.
No herpes;fordyce spots;probably candida thrush due to braces...
1. Unfortunately, the other picture was not as good, however, I have noted the bumps.
2. I still think over Fordyce spots that are more prominent due to sunburn. It's not herpes do not worry.
3. Fordyce spots once again are due to intrapped oil inside the fatty glands of the upper lip. Sunburn will induce production of oil from the oily glands making them more prominent.
With regards to nystatin drops or miconazole gel, they are used to treat candida infection of oral mucosa (including of upper lip) and not fordyce spots. As you are wearing braces, this makes your oral mucosa becoming prone to candida thrush.
Hope it cleared your doubts! Enjoy your vacations!
Does the fordyce spots mean I am sick?
No worries as you are not having any health problem
1. ok can apply hydrating cream no problem
2. no Fordyce spots are not a sign for health problem, if become inflamed or other changes , then these are indicating that you need medical attention.
For the moment, no problem apart esthetic part.
All the best!
I have read it could be a sign of lip cancer..
Yes, need more days,will disappear on their own
usually they will subside on their own. Sunburn has triggered their prominence.
However, still you are not sick.
If after a couple of months they wre still the same, and you got problem having them, can discuss with dermatologist for laser therapy as final treatment. I still think you do not need it as long as their appearance is the same.
It's not cancer, enjoy your vacation
It's not cancer.
enjoy your vacation peacefully!
Ho and the wihe you see on my lips is hydration creme
A cold sore is noted,do not try to pop it again as more will come out...
In the new picture you uploaded, I have noted the pimple on the outer part of the upper lip. It is a cold sore. It is usually appearing after a viral infection. Usually, when exposing to sun (sunburn) and staying at the seaside, it is common to get a cold. This is what happened to you.
I highly recommend not to pop out again as the more you pop, the more difficult it will become to heal; and the more pimples will come out.
You can apply an antiviral cream (aciclovir) only on the sore (pimple) area, not in the normal (intact) skin as it is effective only on the cold sore, and causing damages to the normal skin.
Try not to expose to the sun while applying this cream (you can apply only in the afternoon or bedtime).
Hope it answered to your primary query!
And the spots inside my lips are still Fordcyde spots?
Isnt a cold sore suppose to hurt when you push on it?
And one last question, how did I got this? Is it a common thing? I hope people wont judge me. Could you please answer all my questions? You are such a good doctor !
The pimple on the outside part of lip is more notable than the tiny spots inside the lip as per limitation of the clarity of photos you sent in.
The location you refer to the tiny bumps inside the upper lip are indicating Fordyce spots. The pimple outside goes for cold sore caused by a virus. It might be non-sexually transmitted herpes or other types of virus. Usually it will subside in a few days up to 1 week. Unless, the pimple will get bigger and you'll notice unusual symptoms.
The non-sexually transmitted herpes (common cold) does not necessary occur every month. It depends on:
- exposure to such virus
- your immune status
- aggressivity of the virus as it can change its properties
I see that you seem very restless about what you noticed. I still think that you are going through a virosis which is commonly occurring when going in vacation due to changes in weather conditions, etc.
If you want to make sure nothing serious is happening to you (as I've been saying during our discussion), you can go to ER and refer that you are having fever and such lesions on your lips. Can discuss regarding the use of anti-viral cream locally as advised earlier and about Fordyce spots.
Once again, it is a temporary situation that will improve soon. You need to strengthen your immunity by taking vit.C and drinking more fruit juice and eating healthy. Avoid alcohol or exposing for too long into the sun especially during midday hours.
Hope it helped!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Herpes infection on face
- Herpes infection of the lungs
- Herpes infections causes
- Severe mucosal herpes infections
- Genital herpes infection timeline
- What are the treatment herpes infection
- Diagnosis of Herpes infections
- Symptoms of herpes infection
- Treatment and cure for Herpes infections
- Cutaneous herpes infection