Do trauma or any kind of vacuum application cause a stroke?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 3 Oct 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Can you tell me what type of stroke my daughter had and if it's related to trama? Could the vaccum cause this? Any possibility at all?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cerebral infarct

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through the reports which you have attached. As clearly shown in the brain imaging and mentioned in the report, it's an area of large left MCA infarct (ischemic stroke). Neither trauma nor the vacuum application should be the cause of the same.

Besides, the report mentions that Antithrombin III and Protein C are low- which might be the possible cause. A complete coagulation profile analysis may be repeated to confirm the same.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 10 hours later
My daughter is hospitalized every month for over hour seizures. They run every test during that time including blood to make sure everything is normal and it always is. She is 5 and had the stroke at birth. She does not have a blood disorder. We would have certainly known that by now. Her blood work came back normal at birth as well. There are a lot of things not adding up like: her her is fine, blood fine, no disorders of any kind. If in fact they believed it was a blood disorder that is a serious disorder and requires care. We have never been told blood or heart EVER in fact when she first had it we were told they had no idea why it happened.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 36 hours later
Brief Answer:
More details included.

Detailed Answer:

Your daughter is a case of young ischemic stroke. There can be many causes for young ischemic stroke out of which cardiac and blood coagulation abnormalities are fairly seen. Her evaluation should be on the lines of 'ischemic stroke in young'. Imaging studies entire brain vessels and vessels going from heart to brain (carotid angiogram, aortogram, brain angiogram) could be of help in detecting the cause.

I suggest you to visit a pediatric neurologist or a neurologist nearby who can review all the past documents, examine the patient, see the brain images and plan the investigations accordingly, so as to find the cause. Pediatrician involved at the time of delivery may have mentioned in his documents for the reasons of any ischemic damage in the brain. All the previous documents are crucial.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)