Do they test for syphilis when you are pregnant?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 21 Jul 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Do they test for syphilis when you are pregnant? Had a red painful rash under my armpit doctor asked if I had anything on my groin did not gave me some pills to take and cream. That was 29 years ago if it was syphilis would I know by now ? I had three more kids since then that is why I want to know if they check for syphilis.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, doctors check for syphilis during pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

Yes, syphilis is systematically checked during pregnancy. Doctors may not communicate the results to you if they find nothing concerning about them. Be rest assured that if it were to be syphilis, your doctor would have made this expressly clear to you as testing and treatment of both partners are warranted by law. Also, syphilis would have been preferable treated with a shot and not pills and a cream. My thinking is that you probably had an abscess or folliculitis. If you had syphilis, the doctors would have still picked this up during your subsequent pregnancies.

In all, it was not syphilis and there is no way you can go back to tell whether it was or not. The symptoms reported, the treatment received and failure of subsequent pregnancies to raise this concern is enough information to say you had no syphilis then.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 10 hours later
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks!

Detailed Answer:
Thank you so much for using our services. I am humbled to know that we were of help to you this day. Please, do not hesitate to send future queries directly to my for answering.

I wish you well.