Do therapies like SPMF or MRT work well for osteoarthritis?

Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 13 Aug 2019 in Back Pain
Question: Hi,
My mother is about 59 Year age and has been diagnosed with OA and it exists for about 10 years or so.
She is having diabetics (type 2) too since about 15 years and chronic gastritis too. Due to gastritis, it is difficult (almost not possible) to get medicines like Glucosamine etc.

My doubt and query is that
(1) whether the therapies like SPMF or MRT or likewise do work well in cases like OA or do these therapies only for namesake.
(2) whether OA is totally curable using such tehrapies
(3) what best can be done in order to get relief from OA and its associated pain and what best can be done in order to get rid of OA
(4) what alternate therapies exist for OA which is found to be beneficial and working

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please read below

Detailed Answer:

Please see the answers to your queries:

1. These therapies may work to some extent in early OA but in late standing OA , they may not be reliable.

2. OA is a progressive condition , which cannot be cured at present.

3. It depends on the condition of OA . If it is severe with deformity ,then the only definitive treatment would be Knee replacement. In mild to moderate cases alternative therapies can be tried.

4. Alternative therapies include Local Infiltration of Hyaluronate gel or Biologics like Platelet rich plasma, along with mild medicines and exercises.These are useful in diabetes also particularly Platelet Rich Plasma.

I hope to have answered all your questions.
Please feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy