Do symptoms of an underlying SVT show up even after having the pacemaker implanted?
IF SHE IS HAVING EPISODES OF UNDERLYING SVT WOULD SHE BECOME SYMPTOMATIC WHILE HAVING A PACEMAKER.
I would explain as folllows:
Welcome on HCM!
I passed carefully through your mother's medical history and would like to explain that an implanted pacemaker helps in maintaining an acceptable heart rate per minute when intrinsic heart impulses fail stimulating the contracting muscle, such as in the case of advanced heart block.
But a pacemaker could do nothing in the case of a SVT episode, it doesn't suppress or stop the arrhythmia and in general it is not capable of dealing with high rate arrhythmias.
So, even with an implanted pacemaker, she would experience the same symptoms during a potential SVT as if the pacemaker were off.
From the other side, considering her recent complaints (fatigue, dizziness and chest pain), I recommend discussing with her attending physician on the possibility of optimizing her ongoing therapy (including anti-ischemic drugs) as her clinical symptomatology is suggestive of cardiac ischemia.
Nitrates and potential vasodilators would be beneficial (in case no risk of hypotension is present).
Hope you will find this answer helpful!
In case of any further questions, feel free to ask me again.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What happens after pacemaker implantation
- Symptoms of problems with pacemaker
- Symptoms of pacemaker syndrome
- Recovery time after pacemaker implant
- Symptoms when a pacemaker kicks in
- Pacemaker failure symptoms
- Symptoms of a failing pacemaker
- Symptoms of a pacemaker not working
- Symptoms of low pacemaker battery
- Dizzy after pacemaker implantation
- What do the following stress tests, echo and holter monitor test result...
- Suggest alternative treatment for congestive heart failure
- Suggest treatment for hypertension and GERD
- Suggest treatment for high BP and tingling in arms
- What causes sharp pain in chest area relieved by burping?
- Suggest treatment for afib, severe sleep apnea and high heart rate?
- What causes shortness of breath with normal chest X-ray?
- What causes severe pain in my calf muscle in Tietze syndrome?
- What causes altered sense of smell when diagnosed with sinus tachycardia?
- Does page syndrome increase the risk of heart attack?