Do steroid drops help cure pain and redness in the eyes of an infant?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Aug 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My 20 month daughter suddenly developed redness in her eyes from yesterday evening.
We are not sure whether that is because if she got her self hurt on her eye or for some other reason.
Today we consulted a ophthalmologist and she was little confused in suggesting medicine for it. Finally she told to start with antibiotic drops and see if the redness goes by Monday if not stop antibiotics and start with steroid drops from Monday and see her again on next Friday. She also suggested some soothing drops.

Her investigation resport along with suggested medicine with redness pictures are attached for your opinion.

Questions.

1. What is your opinion on the medicine given and does she really need antibiotics?
2. Is the dosage suggests appropriate?
3. How steroid is different from antibiotics?

Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Phlyctenular keratoconjunctivitis.

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
This is phlyctenular keratoconjunctivitis.Moxicip will not help.You have to start FML eye drop 4times a day.This will reduce the redness in about 4 days time,then one drop will be put twice a day and drops discontinued after one week.
This is a small problem and nothing much to worry about.she will be ok very soon.
Do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 23 minutes later
Can we just use refresh drops and see how it progress and then decide on FML?

Doctor suggested to start FML after Monday if refresh drops and Moxicip is not reducing the problem.

I am just trying to avoid any other medicine (antibiotics and steroids) unless it is absolutely needed. Please suggest
Brief Answer:
Phlyctenular keratoconjunctivitis.

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for getting back to me.
Moxicip and Refresh tears drops use is like using no treatment.If you want to wait then that's your choice.At times some problems are self limiting and can resolve with time.
There is always a situation where the redness will increase without treatment.The choice is yours.
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 10 hours later
Thanks for the response.

Just want to reconfirm the age of my daughter as 20 months(1.8 years) and I hope FML eye drops are safe to use. Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Phlyctenular keratoconjunctivitis

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Good of you to get back to me.
Fluromethalone is a mild steroid,they have problems if used indiscriminately for long periods of time.One week or 10 days is a short exposure.So it is safe to use.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng