Do spots on the tongue indicate canker sores?

ENT Specialist
Question
I am a 41 yr old female who occasionally gets cancer type sores on my tongue when I eat too much sugar. I felt a few spots on the sides and underside of my tongue that hurt and was looking to see if they were canker sores. Usually the are white but have a reddish, inflamed area around the outside. I happened to see this on my tongue on the left side though while I was looking and while there is a smaller white dot in the center the area around it is also white. I don’t always look at them and usually just wait for them to go away, but this one seemed different and concerned me. I get concerned because I had unprotected oral sex years ago in college with different partners and I even went to see an ENT a few months ago for a throat issue and he didn’t find anything suspicious then, but I’m not sure he looked at my tongue. I also had a dentist appointment a few months ago and was told they saw no signs of oral cancer during my regular checkup. I don’t know how long this spot has been there. I took the best picture I could manage. Is it safe to wait and see if it goes away?

Just read my question. I meant canker type sores not cancer!
Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Aphthous ulcers

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
I have read the history and seen the picture. These are aphthous lesions and doesn't seem to be malignancy at all.
These can be due to indigestion or nutritional deficiency or bad orodental hygiene.
Apply candid mouth paint to the tongue 4 to 5 times a day for a week.
Take a tablet vitamin c once daily and some multivitamin supplement.
Use chlorhexidine mouth wash.
Avoid any spicy food and aerated drinks.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: Do spots on the tongue indicate canker sores? 32 minutes later
I am in the US and I don’t think the mouth paint is available here. Should I see a doctor for a prescription?

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 34 hours later
Brief Answer:
Aphthous ulcers

Detailed Answer:
Hi
You need a prescription for the mouth paint. So I would suggest you to visit a doctor.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks and regards