Do sneezing and coughing after a Nissen fundoplication cause any health issues?
Did have nissen fundoplication and small hiatal hernia surgery 1 year ago. I just want to ask basic questions about some things I tend to be afraid of.
I have a small and slim body type and definitely not overweight.
What about sneezing and cough; I normally don't sneezing, but everyone does this once in a while.
and sometimes I have the urge to do double sneezing in a single action and then it's done.
what about sneezing in general; is this something we need to worry about; it puts pressure on the stomach ; and does the surgery tolerate this in the long run?
I still feel unsafe when I sneeze, afraid of damage the wrap or hiatal hernia; and I want to let this afraid to go.
and what about eating too much sometimes; not on purpose of course, is this also something the surgery can withstand without problems ?
Sneezing no problem.
Over eating on regular basis not recommended.
* Post fundoplication period of 1 year is totally recovered period from healing point of view.
* Regarding sneezing , occasional once or twice episodes with normal exertion over the diaphragm does not affect the surgery outcome .
* Over eating though directly is not going to affect at this point of time as surgery can withstand it without problems ,
but if done on regular basis can create issues later on . So my recommendations regarding that point :
- Always try to avoid over eating till possible .
- Eat more frequent meals .
- Prefer upright position while eating .
- Do not lie down for a period of 2 hours after major meals .
- Regular walking , deep breathing exercises, YOGA support best.
Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel, General Surgeon
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Exercise after nissen fundoplication
- Nausea after nissen fundoplication
- Diet after nissen fundoplication
- Flying after nissen fundoplication
- Activity after nissen fundoplication
- Causes of undone nissen fundoplication
- Masturbating after nissen fundoplication
- Malabsorption after nissen fundoplication
- Anorexia after nissen fundoplication
- Eating after nissen fundoplication