Do small bumps in the penile shaft suggest HPV infection?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi Doctor,

Two days ago i noticed a few small bumps on my penis shaft and im wondering are they HPV related? They do not hurt or itch, they seem a bit rough maybe because they bump out.
i have attached pictures, hope they are clear.
I did not have any sexual intercourse since 6 months ago which was unprotected. But after 4 months i did all STD (HIV, HBV, HCV) test using RNA PCR and PCR Urethral SWAB for HPV and HSV II and all came negative.
I did however recieve oral sex from a massage parlor 10 days ago which im afraid that this might be related. your kind advice is much appreciated. thank you.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Image not found

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr.kakkar (dermatoligist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.
Unfortunately I could not find any image. I request you to kindly re upload an image in "Reports Section".

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 18 minutes later
Hi Doctor, Are the images showing now?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Normal finding

Detailed Answer:
Thank you. I have viewed the Images.

No. These slightly raised bumps are not HPV infection. They seem to be part of normal skin which is slightly rugose in that region

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 35 minutes later
Ok thank you doctor...just for my knowledge, how would genital warts look when first appear?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Genital warts are distinctive in appearance

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Genital warts are clinically distinctive in appearance. They can be solitary or multiple, skin colored or hyperpigmented raised lesions, usually with a cauliflower like appearance. Genital warts can be either solitary, slender papules with a stalk(i..e filiform) or coalesce to form sessile, rough papules. Warts are generally asymptomatic.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 4 hours later
Can HPV be transmitted from female to male after giving oral sex to male? And if there was an old wart on someone body which by chance touches tip of penis, would the male be infected right away?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding HPV

Detailed Answer:
Hii

Yes, oral to genital transmission is possible, though, most commonly genital HPV is acquired during sexual intercourse.
Mere touching may not be enough for transmission. Usually there has to be some innoculation of virus into the skin due to friction leading on to minor abrasions thus facilitating entry of virus.