• question-icon

Do silicone breast implants increase cancer?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Lump
Question: Do silicone breast implants increase cancer, shorten life span, make a person sick?
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Brief Ans-Dont Worry !! If planning Breast Implant- enjoy it with close fo

Detailed Answer:
Brief Ans-Dont Worry !! If planning Breast Implant- enjoy it with close followup!!

Hi,Dear!! Thanks for your query to HCM.
Dear,I reviewed you being anxious since last 1 and half month, since you planned for Breast augmentation.
These are the risks which make you hypochondriac, and seems to be the result of anxiety and fear from Googling the information.

Dear,as You had family history of breast cancer in grand-ma from paternal side,You need to be cautious with the denser breasts which you do have.

But still, with the current advances in Breast Implant management, with the expert centers, these risks could be taken care of.

The chances of having breast cancer are very less with silicone implants,as the material is practically non-toxic.

The reports of complications with increased risks of cancer and sick/ morbid life after breast implants,are to be reviewed in context to health of the women and personal variation of human body and health facts of your human body.

Risks of ALCL- anaplastic large cell Lymhoma- and relation with silicone breast implant- is not yet established fully.
So don't worry.
After all its your decision and your pleasure with it !!

So I would suggest you, If you plan the breast implant and the benefits are more for you than the risks with it, You could go ahead with the breast implants.

No doubt any foreign object implanted in the body, does create immune rejection reaction- which is natural reaction by any human body.
So these disturbed body responses are manageable, if strict followup check up is done with MRI and your attending surgeon.

So with the suggestions given above, breast implants is manageable if breast augmentation is going to boost your lifestyle and self confidence.

Hope this discussion would help you to take proper decision, with your attending doctors there in your area.

Welcome for any further query in this regard.

Would appreciate your comments about the usefulness of this interaction.

Wishing You to have a good healthy post- implant life !!

Good Day !!

Dr.Savaskar M.N.
M.S.Genl-CVTS XXXXXXX Surgical Specialist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Mukund Savaskar

General Surgeon