Do premature babies displaying lack of motor skills require medical attention?

Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
I am somewhat concerned about my twin granddaughters’ development. Their pediatrician is not alarmed, but I’m not sure how forthcoming the parents have been. The girls were 3 weeks premature. They are exactly 11 months now.They are definitely behind the curve in motor skills. The most alarming thing is that, though both could sit unassisted at 6 months, neither can get themselves into a sitting position without help.
Neither crawls. Both can stand with help but neither has pulled herself to a standing position. (Well, one did recently pull herself to standing from from my lap but not from the floor.) in other areas they seem more or lass normal but not advanced. They babble and definitely understand a few words, though haven’t yet used mama and dada appropriately yet. They will play peek-a-boo and can touch certain body parts when asked, though they don’t wave bye bye. They can put rings on a ring stacker pole (though not in the right order) and pull a pull-toy to them using a string. I don’t know what to think. Both parents, by the way have Ph.Ds in the sciences.

a worried grandmother
Mon, 23 Apr 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Developmental evaluation needed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query. You indeed are justifiably concerned. It is apparent that there is delay in gross motor milestones (although their cognitive development is on track). Early detection and early intervention is key to prevention of disabilities and to ensure a favorable outcome. I would therefore not justify the standpoint taken by the current pediatrician. It is unfortunate that many pediatricians are not concerned about these aspects. Nevertheless, it is important to evaluate and impart developmental therapy to such children so that the lacunae can be covered and their development can be facilitated. You would need to find a suitable center and arrange for the same.

Let me know if I could help further.