Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Do my blood test results indicated CLL?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
Hi I have a lymphocyte count of 11.4 up fro 8.7 in Nov 13 a WBC of 14.6 up from 11.2 Nov, does this look like CLL
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Blood Cancer(Leukemia)
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Followup Detailed Answer: This is an excellent question, It would be reasonable for your doctor to request a peripheral blood screening test for CLL which would include flow cytometry. This is a comprehensive panel and may include additional tests such as ZAP70 expression and mutation status of immunoglobulin heavy chain. Cytogenetics can also be requested from your blood to see if there are any active mutations. This would allow a pathologist to review your blood and render a diagnosis. Also a peripheral blood smear would be helpful - a pathologist can review this under a microscope to study for any abnormalities in your circulating white blood cells. I want to reassure you that even if this is CLL we have excellent treatments and many times patients do not need treatment for many years. It is also possible that this may not be CLL and I do not want to speculate until you obtain further testing. If the flow cytometry is abnormal then a formal consultation with a hematologist locally would be reasonable. Likely this is something which can we watched conservatively - but again we do not have enough information yet to render a diagnosis. Thanks again for sending the query. Let us know if we can be of any additional assistance. Sincerely, Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor