Do muscle spasms and severe pain near the broken ribs require medical attention?

Pulmonologist
Question
I fell on Dec. 16 and broke two ribs on my upper back, right side. The site of the break is tender but not extremely painful; however, I am having extreme piercing pain in the lower front part of my rib cage. Causes muscle spasms that make it almost breath taking. Happens more frequently at night and usually if I raise one or both arms. I am concerned that the pain is not near the original break site and don't know if I should go back to have more x-rays taken of the front rib cage.
Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
actually, I'd suggest, don't do anything

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HealthcareMagic,

I can understand your concern and I am sorry for your situation.

Usually, the pain due to fracture of the ribs may be irradiated even far away from the site of injury and it is related to the nerves passing along the ribs.

Another cause of your concern is that you are after a trauma and it is normal that you might feel still pain in your chest.

So, in my opinion, you should not do anything actually only to wait. With the passing time, you should feel better if not than probably it would be better to repeat the X-Ray.

Take orally painkillers instead.

Regards and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda