Do muscle and weight gainer food supplements affect liver and kidney functions?

Dr. Ravi Bansal

Nephrologist

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: i am very lean. my age is 30,height 176cm, weight 65kg. so i opted to join Gym. there I was suggested to take protein powder (Specially ON muscle gainer/weight gainer). are they safe for my liver and kidney functions?
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Muscle gainers are protein rich

Detailed Answer:

Muscle gainers and protein weight gainers are rich in calories and proteins. They are metabolised to produce urea and creatinine.

Now we need to understand that the body is tuned to receive 1 gm/Kg/day of protein. that means 65 gm /day of protein. all these protein powders are 80% wt for volume. So if you increase your total protein intake to higher levels, your body may or may not cope up with it.

If your kidney function is suboptimal to start with or you have high blood pressure , you may develop side effects on the kidneys and liver.

But it will not be right to say that these products are unsafe for all.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Ravi Bansal 22 minutes later
Thanks for your reply.
But could you please suggest me any other options or substitute like Neutralite (from amway),
Or could you please suggest me any diet schedule. My main problem is that I am not accustomed to eat very frequently or in great amount.
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
low body weight

Detailed Answer:

Body weight is set from the brain and after certain age remains the same until there are drastic changes in diet and physical body schedule.

What ever be the protein type- it depends on the amount of protein intake per KG body wt/day.
I think your body wt is good. You need to work on fitness and in general increase your diet.

If you want detailed dietary advice should should put up the question to a dietitian.

Best wishes.