Do mild mitral valve sclerosis and mild to moderate mitral valve regurgitation require surgery?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2017
Mar 2017

Cardiologist
Question
I am 75-year-old male and presently am taking Atenolol, Clonidine and Benazepril for hypertension. I recently had echocardiogram which reported mild mitral valve sclerosis and mild to moderate mitral valve regurgitation with no evidence of mitral valve stenosis. There also was mild tricuspid valve regurgitation and Grade I left ventricular diastolic dysfunction with normal filling pressures. Do these these findings indicate that I need surgery or additional medication?

Cited echocardiogram also reported mild aortic valve sclerosis without aortic valve stenosis.

All other findings were nomal
Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir

After going through the details provided by you i would like to tell you that Sclerosis is basically a age related degeneration of the heart valves and wont cause any significant problem. Your mitral and tricuspid valves do have some regurgitation.

As such these finding wont requires any surgery.

Yes, if you have breathlessness on exertion or during routine daily activities then a small dose of diuretic can be added in addition to other medicines to reduce the volume overload.

I hope this information will answer your query. Feel free to ask if you have any more doubts.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap