Do low levels of amniotic fluids during early pregnancy require medical attention?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Tue, 12 Feb 2019 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife is 28 weeks pregnant, with normal fetal growth and blood flow but the amniotic fluid index is 6.5. She is being administered fluids through IV procedure with a 3 day stay in a hospital. Two NST tests have been done and both measured FHR 125-150 and kicks between 6-8. Though doctor is pinning hopes of a recovery in fluid level since there is no leakage and all test results are not worrisome, but she is considering to administer my wife with steroid injections. I am worried she is already preparong for a pre-term delivery. Please advise if we should take a second opinion?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Steroid recommended

Detailed Answer:

If one has decreased amniotic fluid levels at a gestational age of fewer than 34 weeks, then there are chances that fetus can go into distress any time (indicated by Fetal heart rate and NST test) and then the preterm delivery is indicated immediately.

That is why it is recommended to give steroid injection if the patient has decreased amniotic fluid levels at less than 34 weeks gestation.

You can go for the second opinion if you are not satisfied with the treatment of your doctor.

Though steroid injection is recommended in this scenario.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 2 hours later
Thank you doctor for your prompt reply. Since both the NST are confirmed to be normal the doctor here has decided to delay steroid option until usg is done after IV fluid dose is completed.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 11 hours later
Brief Answer:

Happy to help

Detailed Answer:

You can get back to me for further queries by asking a direct question to me on this site, anytime.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Deepti Verma, OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng