Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Do involuntary eye movements require consultation with a neurologist?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 3082 Questions
facial twitching and blinking for a few years now has evolved into involuntary eye movements...looking out the side of the eyes with head turned then widening of the eyes...(my 8 year old daughter). She seems to not be aware of doing it. consult a neurologist?
Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seizure possibility should be considered by a neurologist.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Judging from your description I would say that a neurologist consult is necessary. Those symptoms may be manifestations of seizures so they need evaluation from a neurologist, EEG and brain imaging in order to start treatment if diagnosis is confirmed.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Do involuntary eye movements require consultation with a neurologist? 2 hours later
Thank you. We will ask her pediatrician for a referral for a nerologist. I hope it is not seizures. In other respects she is a "top of her class" student.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome. Hope things work out for the best.

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome. Hopefully it's not seizures, but should be investigated. Even if they are seizures though keep in mind that in children it is not necessarily a diagnosis of lifelong epilepsy, often improve with age.

Let me know if I can further assist you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor