Do ice-pick headaches cause pain near the temples?

Neurologist
Question
Hello I am a 45 year old women and I am wondering I got like a pain in my temple them it went away and left me with a slight headache I have normal blood pressure but I do have a history of neck shoulder issues as well as migraines I am wondering if it is ice pick headache
Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hard to say but it's possible- However, read on please---

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your question.

As a headache specialist I see many patients with what are generically referred to as TRIGEMINAL AUTONOMIC CEPHALGIC HEADACHES of the ice pick type. One thing you mention is true about those types of headaches and that it is that they are suddenly and spontaneously painful and often strike in the temple or frontal/orbital regions of the head.

However, when they subside it is typically without any residual headaches. That is why they are called ICE PICK....they are described as stabbing/jabbing/lancinating pains but once they're gone patients essentially return to a normal state as if nothing really happened. The exception would be in the rare case where someone also gets nausea/vomiting or dizziness which then, may make it a bit more prolonged in time to get back to normal. But that doesn't seem to be what you're describing.

Just based on 1 episode it is impossible to say with certainty what this was but if additional instances occur then, my recommendation is that you begin paying attention to the details of exactly how long they last, what may be happening to you JUST BEFORE THEY COME ON, and exactly what is happening after the stab is over....as well as characteristics of the residual headache.

You can then, take a collection of these episodes that you've accumulated on what we refer to as a HEADACHE DIARY or HEADACHE LOG to a headache specialist or neurologist and they will be able to better help you determine what is happening and how best to treat them.

If I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating? Again, many thanks for submitting your inquiry and please let me know how things turn out.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 22 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.

Follow-up: Do ice-pick headaches cause pain near the temples? 12 hours later
Hi
So am I in any danger or just keep a diary as u have indicated

Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Danger is a very STRONG word that I always try to avoid using

Detailed Answer:
Young Lady--- We've just met....HA!

I'm not in a position to say much about "danger" as I have no other contact with you other than these 2 messages (4.5 lines).... so I must not use such terms. Based on 1 episode I certainly wouldn't think about DANGER as being in your future.....BUT.....(as the Great Oz said to Scarecrow)...

"AT RISK?" might be a couple of more appropriate words to use in your situation since you have a migraine headache history, you are a young woman in her 40's, and you presented this pang of pain.....but again, it's only 1 time so this is a TERRIFIC time to get started on keeping a diary and learning about things to keep ahead of the wave, make sense?

You know? Even though your Toronto Raptors absolutely embarrassed our XXXXXXX Cavaliers last evening in an International Beating of Epic proportions...LOL.....I'd be very happy to see you on this side of the border very expeditiously (I hear it's a long time to see good neurologists in Canada)... to teach you the mechanics of how to keep a REAL HEADACHE DIARY that you can use to impress your doctors, friends, family, and neighbors :0 since it is really through careful attention and documentation of certain details with these types of headaches that a quick and accurate diagnosis can be made.

Not only that-- we could swap stories of what I remember from Expo '67 when I was a tike and we lived in Montreal and the last time we visited Toronto which has just become this incredible Canadian XXXXXXX of a City....can't wait to get a return trip....but it must be spring or summer! HAHA!

Once again, young lady....If I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions if I've helped you in any way understand your problem a bit more I'd be very appreciative if you'd tell the higher ups some nice feedback along with a 5 STAR rating and then, not forget to CLOSE THE QUERY? Again, all the best to you and your fair B-ball team though I look forward to the REMATCH! HA!

This query has utilized a total of 40 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.