Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Do i need to go to a speech pathologist for facial dystonia?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 2690 Questions
Hi , I am having problem with my speech for the past three years.I was diagnosed with facial dystonia There is uncontrolled movement of tongue and facial muscles as a result of which i have to make effort to speak.Breathing during this period is also difficult.Earlier on i was given a combination of revocon and pacitane one tablet each twice a day.There was good improvement after which i was given pacitane half table three times a day.Still there is a lot of difficulty in speaking .A lot of saliva is also generated while speaking.can you pl suggest a suitable treatment for above.Do i need to go to a speech pathologist as the above medication was recommended by a neurosurgeon.regards regards
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Dose needs to be individualized Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX I am Dr Saumya Mittal, MD And I am going to try to help you with your query. I have read your query in detail. I think there is more scope to step up on your therapy The medicine dosage is supposed to be increased gradually and individualized from patient to patient This is more important since these medicines can have serious side effects as they act on neurotransmitters. I think you need to visit your neurologist regularly to do this You could visit BJ medical college A speech therapist can always help. But as I said, the dose needs to be individualized I will be happy to answer any further queries Best of luck Dr Saumya Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor