Do high levels of Prolactin shrink the ovaries?

Dr. Nidhi Setia

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 6 Aug 2015 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: What is the normal volume in millilitres of ovaries for someone my age (39 years)? I have not taken any contraceptives for approximately 4 years. I have had high prolactin levels for decades due to taking antipsychotic medication. Do high levels of prolactin shrink the ovaries? If prolactin levels are reduced will this mean I will be more fertile? I recently had an ultrasound due to painful periods and it was revealed that my ovaries were 2mL and 2.9mL in volume. From my internet research this makes my ovaries about 1/3 of the size they should be. I have never had a pregnancy.
Answered by Dr. Nidhi Setia 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
The normal ovarian volume at your age should be 6-7 ml.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM.
I understand your concerns.

High prolactin levels can affect ovarian reserve. It decreases gonadotrophic hormones and thus affects fertility.

In my opinion, hyperprolactinemia might have caused shrinkage of ovaries in your case because you had raised prolactin chronically.

I would advise you to go for thyroid examination. This can also contribute to hyperprolactinemia.

Discuss with your doctor about reducing the dose of psychotropic medications to minimum possible dose.

Bromocriptinne or cabergoline (prescription drug) will also help in treatment of raised prolactin.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to ask further.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E