Do high fructose levels lead to weight gain?

Kathy
Kathy Shattler

Dietitian & Nutritionist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: I gained weight the past month due to hot weather---replenishing liquids---I drink a lot of liquids--iced teas, juices,pomegranate juice--vitamin water--could high sugars, corn syrup and high fructose put the weight on I seem to have a healthy appetite--I take advil, ibroprofane daily---my bowel habits seem normal---three a day should I get in an exercise program I worry I have too many bowel movements---no stomach problems--worry about colon-rectal---have had a rash on my arms---my apartment had an infestation of insects--bed bugs--small bugs---I eat a lot of berries, nuts--Special K--oats--love broccoli---should I cut back meat--red meat Thanks XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Kathy Shattler 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sorry for the delay, my text didn't come through

Detailed Answer:
Good morning!
XXXXXXX it seems like you identified the problem in the first paragraph. High fructose anything (high fructose corn syrup, juices, etc) will aggravate weight loss and may stimulate weight gain. There is an entire cascade of hunger hormones and insulin and such involved. May I kindly suggest that you cut down to two fruits per day and preferably fresh? Juices - I would prefer you stay away from those until you have taken any/all desired weight off. If you have high triglycerides, fructose will aggravate those as well.

There is no one NUMBER of stools to have per day or week. You are eating tons of fiber, that is why. Your stools are 30% fiber, 30% bacteria and the rest, waste.

Yes, a brisk walking program would be great. The US government recommends 150 minutes of exercise per week minimum.

Be cautious with too many over the counter pain pills. Acetaminophen taken in excess is not good for the liver.

You inquired about colonoscopy. Keep up with your scheduled screenings. It could save your life.

I don't know how much meat you get now, but you need to get adequate protein every day which is .8 g/kg to 1g/kg. A kg is 2.2 pounds. No, I don't advise you to cut back unless I were to assess you and find that you are eating too much.

Regards and again, sorry for the question not reaching me.
XXXXXXX Shattler, MS,RDN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar