question-icon

Do high BP and severe headache from 2 weeks require immediate attention?

Posted on Wed, 25 Jul 2018
Question: I’m diabetic (under control), BP has risen significantly over the past two weeks - endocrinologist increased the BP med and it came down slightly.....I have severe onset of a headache in the past two weeks as well. Comes on very quickly and is intense.....my GP is booked (flu season) - I can see the PA...should I wait to see PA or does this warrant an ER visit? I have also had heart by-pass (roughly 10 yrs. ago) and keep a yearly check up with the cardiologist?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on Healthcaremagic!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your headaches could be related to the blood pressure fluctuations.

For this reason, I would recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure values.

Do you have any other symptoms like nasal congestion? This could indicate a sinus infection.
Where is the headache located? Is is like pressure type or throbbing?

What is your current anti-hypertensive therapy? Headache could be an adverse effect of many drugs too.

If the headaches persist and are not related to high blood pressure values, I recommend consulting with your PA for a careful physical exam and some tests:

-a chest X ray study
- a resting ECG
- complete blood count
- PCR, ESR for inflammation
- blood electrolytes for any imbalance
- thyroid hormone levels for thyroid gland dysfunction
- fasting glucose.

A brain CT scan may be needed if the headaches persist.

You should discuss with your PA on the above tests.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist