Do hemorrhoids raise PSA levels?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Does hemmoroids raise PSA levels
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending the question to HCM.

Hemorrhoids do not play a role in elevation of the PSA level. Hemorrhoids are swollen veins that cause tissue swelling in the area of the anus and rectum. These are generally treated with local therapy including topical cream and sometimes surgery.

PSA levels otherwise can increase in the setting of inflammation , infection , benign enlargement of the prostate gland (BPH) and on some occasions elevated PSA may be related to prostate cancer.

If you have elevated levels of PSA it is important that you discuss this with your primary care physician. You should have a thorough prostate exam. If there is any abnormalities detected on the exam and then your doctor might consider referring you to a urologist..

Thank you again for sending your question. Again hemorrhoids do not have an impact on the PSA level. Please discuss further with your doctor.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee