Do hearing issues, earache and fever in a child require ER consultation despite taking antibiotics?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Hi, my 5 year old daughter has infections in both ears and has been on antibiotics since Thursday (December 28th). She’s still in pain, is running a fever and can’t hear anything out of her right ear. Should I take her to the ER? I’m concerned about her loss of hearing and that the antibiotics aren’t working.
Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take her to the emergency room but do not panic about loss of hearing

Detailed Answer:
Hi...I understand your concern. There is no need to panic about hearing loss.

During acute middle ear infection, there can be blockade of the eustachian tube which is called eustachian tube catarrh, which is the most common cause for temporary blocked hearing like feeling.

I suggest you to take her to the emergency room and get her ears examined by and otoscope. But at the same time I can reassure you that you need not panic about hearing loss.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth Amperayani MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paediatrics).,