Do forgetfulness and memory loss indicate Alzheimer's disease?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Mental Health
Question: My Husband who is 64 years old has a habit that is making me wonder that something is going on. Also, his Mom died of Alzheimers so that concern me too. My Hubby has the following behaviors: 1. I will ask him a question and he will tell me, for example, "No" about a subject but when I try and clarify his response, many times he will tell me he really meant "Yes". It can be pretty crazy making at times. 2. He has always been on the forgetful side, and has always lost keys, wallets, etc. And he has been forgetful to follow through with tasks. But it is getting worse as he ages. I am wondering if he has some kind of a neurological problem as he was born in a red cross tent after a huge earthquake on the Greek Island where he was born?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I think there is need for evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

From the available description it is clear that all is not well and there is need for further evaluations. Considering the family history of Alzheimer disease I think this should be the first thing to evaluate as there is increasing forgetfulness, difficulty in understanding tasks which we expect from a person of similar age and health status.

Taking birth in adverse situations unlikely to reflect at this age and I do not think it is relevant at this point of time.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.