Do feeding bottles need to be sterilized before feeding a newborn?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
I need to talk to a pediatrician
I have few queries.
Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I am a pediatrician please get back with your queries

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani from XXXXXXX I have 13 years of experience in the field of Pediatrics at a tertiary care referral hospital in XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern.

Please get back to me with your health query.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: Do feeding bottles need to be sterilized before feeding a newborn? 10 hours later
hi doctor,
Recently we are blessed with a baby girl. She is now 8 months. We are giving Nan pro 2 formula milk and cerelac stage 2 .we are planning to go for a week trip this month. Now our main concern is bottle wash. Kindly advice we if need to sterilise the bottle as we do at home or can we just rinse with hot water and feed. Please help us on how to proceed.

Regards, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to definitely sterilize - bottle sterilizer available commercially

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... I understand your concern. Sterilization is the only way to go. Please do not take risk in that as even one small impurity or bacteria or virus can trigger profuse diarrhea, which may land of the baby in problems. You need to definitely sterilize the bottle before using is to feed the baby.

Bottle sterilizers are available commercially. Please try to prepare them. They can be taken as travel companions.

But the best policy is giving direct breast milk. If you don't mind may I know the reason why bottle feeding was started and is the baby being breastfeed or not.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth