question-icon

Do facial rashes and short term memory loss while treating shingles require ER consultation?

Posted on Wed, 1 Aug 2018
Question: I am on Acyclovir and Zirgan for a shingles reoccurrence that went into my eye. I am experiencing memory issues and now have a rash on my face forehead and under both eyes and upper chest area with a burning sensation. I have a call in to the doctor that prescribed and wonder if I should go to urgent care since they have not called me back yet.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho (24 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Yes, please go to the ER.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Seems like an allergic reaction from the drugs you are using, so, it is necessary to get an evaluation at The Earliest to the nearest ER because of the possibility of the anaphylaxis.

Stopping the drugs and getting treated with corticosteroids is necessary.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical