• question-icon

Do eyebrows grow back after stitches?

Posted on Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: my son has server road rash on his cheek and in the eyebrow area -- with vertical stitches through the eyebrow - the hair was not shaved off by the doctors it was scraped off in the accident, will his eyebrow grow back?
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 57 minutes later
Hello
Welcome!
I would be pleased to answer your question.
From the photos , it looks like the hair has been lost secondary to the Dermal ( XXXXXXX layer ) of the skin loss.
There is a very high possibility that the hair loss could be permanent .
So presently you should let the wound heal and then later consider a hair transplant .

Thanks and take care

Follow up: Dr. Pravin Banodkar 40 minutes later
Should he keep these wounds covered and moist? What kind of scarring can he expect from this? And what is the best preventive measures to avoid scarring?
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 6 hours later
Thanks for the reply posted .

He should keep the wounds well protected while on the move outside home .He should apply an antibiotic ointment and a gauze dressing . While at home he should apply the antibiotic ointment and keep the wound open .
He should clean it well and keep the wound aseptic .
Scarring that occurs is commonly Dermal level scarring with a scar tissue visible from the top .
He should avoid scratching the area , and have a tablet of Vitamin C daily .
After 1 month , once the top layer of the skin heals , he can apply the anti scar creams ( for example contratubex like)

Thanks and Take care
Dr. Pravin Banodkar

Dermatologist