Do difficulties speaking two-syllable words in a baby require medical attention?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Hi doc, my baby was delivered at 37 weeks of gestation. He completes 9 months on 2nd XXXXXXX He stands with support, crawls well & pis an active child. However, he only makes random noises/ sounds. I have read from the internet that by 9 months, baby calls mama/dada to any of the parent. My baby do get happy when he sees me& cries to be picked up by me, but he doesnot call me by any specific name/ sound. Should I be worried? what is the normal age for the baby to call mama/daada?
Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need not be worried, you can wait till 12 months of age

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... I understand your concern. But you need not be worried about this.

From what you have mentioned I feel that your child is developmentally normal.

Some children may take up to 12 months of age to have two syllable pronunciation like mama Dada.

One important suggestion - just make sure from your pediatrician that your child does not have tongue tie.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth