question-icon

Do diarrhea, cramps and loss of appetite need medical attention?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016
Question: My 24 yr old daughter came down with a fever( highest was 102), profuse diarrhea, cramps, loss of appetite. this lasted for 3 days. She works in a coffee shop but doesn't think anyone else has gotten sick. What do you think it is? Does she need to go see her primary care doc?
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha (25 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Gastrointestinal infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concerns. It seems that somehow your daughter has got a gastrointestinal infection. However, unless associated with bloody diarrhea, it is self limiting and does not require to be treated with antibiotics. The mainstay of treatment is ORS (oral rehydration solution) which is very essential for replenishment of salt and water lost. Give her paracetamol or acetaminophen to bring down the fever, if necessary.

If she takes ORS as needed, she does not need to see her primary care physician unless she has bloody diarrhea or lethargy. You can wait. It should get well soon.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha