question-icon

Do creatine levels of 18 require medical attention?

Posted on Wed, 5 Sep 2018
Question: I have been diabetic for over 20 years (type II) and am doing well with no complications. I am 66. Today I received my blood results and everything was excellent. However, I noticed the creatine, random urine was 18 and identified as low. The range is 20 - 370 mg/dl. No one seemed concerned. I am wondering how serious this is.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:

Please attach the reports.

Detailed Answer:

Urine albumin to creatinine ratio is the test we use to diagnose and monitor diabetes kidney complications. It is more sensitive than creatinine alone.

I would suggest attaching the reports for a more detailed answer.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni (10 hours later)
Page 1 and Page 2 have been updated. It's page one I'm concerned about. The range for creatinine, random urine is 18. It should be between 20-370.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni (14 hours later)
Brief Answer:

About your concern:

Detailed Answer:

Creatinine in urine us low, reflecting probably a chronic kidney disease. I would recommend checking albumin in urine and Bun/creatinine in blood for further information.

You should add in your therapy ACE inhibitors or ARB to protect the kidney damage from diabetes.

The lipid profile is good but HbA1c is high. The Diabetes treatment should be modified too.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni (51 minutes later)
I forgot to mention I had eight (16 ounces) of bottled water the day before (fasting) and four (16 ounces) of water the morning before the sample was collected. I wanted to make sure I had enough to give and wanted to be well hydrated. Usually I am slightly dehydrated. The number is usually above 20, but I think this time I overdid it!
Brief Answer:

About kidney function:

Detailed Answer:

Probably it may be the cause, but the above-mentioned tests are also needed to judge better kidney function!

Dr Mirjeta Guni
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist