Do coughing and breathing difficulty after working in slurry require immediate attention?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 23 Jul 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My son works on a farm. The farmer had him get inside of a slurry and clean it with a grinder. Slurry are a long tank with an opening big enough for a person to get into but it is in the front end. There is really next to no fresh air while in there. The slurry is used to haul cow manure and fermented waste products from a local brewery. He said the bottom was covered with mold, but he is not sure what kind. He did have a mask on but said it got so dirty from all the dust and debree that he had to change it every 10 minutes. It was so bad that he could hardly see. He was in there for two hours. He is now coughing some, his throat and lungs have a burning feeling. He feels very congested. When he blows his nose all black dirt coming out. Just wondering if this is serious enough to take him into the ER (Urgent Care closed)? Is there something we can do here at home to help him clear his airway?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry for this.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Thanks for the detailed history.
In my opinion, you should not worry much at present.
Tell him to inhale fresh air in open environment.
Do warm water gargles and steam inhalation 4-5 times a day.
Drink plenty of fluids orally and keep himself hydrated.
He will mostly improve with all these in 1 day.
But if he develops worsening breathing difficulty, cough, chest pain etc then take him to hospital.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your son. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng