Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Do corn removers like Dr. Scholl's help decrease knuckle pads? Broken hand, pain when bending fingers, getting larger

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
Do corn removers like Dr. Scholl's help decrease knuckle pads? I broke my right hand then had issues with knuckle pads on pinkie and ring fingers of same hand after cast removed. Causes pain when I bend the fingers and seem to be getting larger after 6 months.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 25 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and suggestions.

I would actually not use this topical preparation on your hands. The component of this topical remedy can cause a significant degree of irritation of the skin and I am concerned that it might do more damage than good.

I would recommend seeking the advice of a dermatologist regarding a good moisturizing topical preparation. I suspect that with a long-term treatment of good hydration of the skin this might improve the flexibility of your fingers and decrease the level of discomfort you are experiencing.

One topical cream which comes to mind is urea-based cream such as Lac-hydrin. I often use this in some of my patients who have difficulty with thickening of the skin and certain parts of the body. I think if you are able to obtain this and use it on a daily basis for at least two or three months it might significantly impact her symptoms.

I would also certainly consider contacting a dermatologist for a full consultation and examination. There're simply no substitute for this as far as what the dermatologist might consider to help you. There are other types of procedures such as dermabrasion or laser procedures which may also benefit but I will like you to discuss this in the context of a formal consultation with a professional.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns regarding this topic please do not hesitate to ask.


Dr. Robert
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor