Do constipation, intermittent nausea, gas and dehydration require medical attention?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Fri, 25 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: To get right to it....
I believed I came down with a common cold 4 days ago. My head was congested, but nothing to bad, except my body feeling overly exhausted and weary. (Feeling overly exhausted is not out of the norm for me, as I am a certified massage therapist that over works herself) 3 days ago my stomach started feeling off. Constipation, gas, and sometimes nausea, with a bit of dehydration perhaps, as I already know I could use more water in my diet and have moment's that I had to get my hands on water **now**. While I believe I could potentially have IBS, it doesn't feel the same as it has in the past, with the cramping & diahrrea & constipation, usually lasting a matter of hours and going mostly away after finally being able to relieve myself, naturally, 3 to 4 times. Anyway, I have been feeling this way for 3 days now and have realized that it starts hurting when I'm up and about. Whether it's as simple as wiping down a counter, driving and walking around at all, for any reason. When I'm sitting, it's not so bad. I'd say I barely notice any pain. Almoste same when I'm laying down. I barely have an appetite, and when I finally do think I'm hungry, the minute I get up to see what I might want, I feel the nausea come on again. While I think this is a simple stomach bug, I have never felt like this before and was wondering if there might be a reason to see a doctor.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be gastritis, and may need antibiotics, Motility agents and antacids

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, though recent episode of respiratory infection generally doesn't cause stomach upsets but the symptoms you have shared leads to a possibility that pre existing IBS got worsened by gastritis or stomach infection.

It's also a possibility that some atypical bugs may cause both respiratory and gastric illness but getting an X-ray chest and PNS if stuffiness and headaches, will not be a bad idea.

But for symptomatic relief regarding the gastric symptoms you may need antacids like omperazole before meals and motility agents like domperidone or itapride can be used.

If domperidone doesnt relieve the nausea, you may need metaclopramide or any other anti emetics. Antibiotics like quinolones or ciprofloxacin may be needed as it can cover both gastric and respiratory illnesses mostly. Avoid heavy, spicy, fatty or junk meals and fizzy drinks. Keep water intake good.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. if you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng