Do chronic cough with green sputum and difficulties swallowing require a consultation with a pulmonologist?

Pulmonologist
Question
Hi
I am a non smoker, never smoked. I have had a chronic cough that lasted 6 months and came back again. I run a fever of 100-102 during these episodes.
This has gone on for 2.5 years. My GP runs tests, a PA did a chest extra and it shows nothing, even though I had dark green sputum. I’m exhausted, should I skip my GP and see a Pulmonologist?
I have has swollowing problems too, would s foreign item, ie food show in a chest X-ray? Could this cause infection?
Each illness includes a horrible headache and horrible neck pain.
Thanks XXXXXXX
Wed, 13 Jun 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please consult a pulmonologist

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HealthcareMagic,

I can understand your concern and I am sorry for your situation.

According to the history you've provided, I would strongly recommend you to see a specialist i.e. a Pulmonologist.

Even the fact that you are a non-smoker the lungs should be examined further. I don't think this might be a foreign body in the airways. If you were my patient I would recommend you to do some blood tests and examination as follows :

Hemogram
CRP
Procalcitonin
Chest X-Ray
Spirometry test with bronchodilators

Please discuss with your doctor for the above. If they are positive than the pulmonologist will advise you further for the proper treatment or you can attach the results here also and I will try to help you with the treatment needed.

Hope to have been helpful for you

Regards and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda

Follow-up: Do chronic cough with green sputum and difficulties swallowing require a consultation with a pulmonologist? 9 minutes later
Thank you very much

Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
most welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

You are welcome anytime,

Dr.Jolanda

Follow-up: Do chronic cough with green sputum and difficulties swallowing require a consultation with a pulmonologist? 3 days later
Hi
I went to my GP today because I need a referral to see a Pulmonologist. My Oxygen Sat was 78%. She gave me prednisone, 2 week course and I have a PFT set for 2 weeks from today. I really have no choice to see a Pulmonologist. My GP thinks I have asthma.
Do you have any suggestions as to how I can circumvent the GP? What is your opion of the asthma DX?
Thank you

Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
respiratory failure, go to ER

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

With Sat 78% you need oxygen and ypu should be hospitalised absolutely.

Go to ER to get medical help.

Its not only the steroids the main problem is resporarory failure due to the lack of oxygen.Arterial blood gases test show better how oxygen do you need actually. Nebulizers are indicated too with steroids (budesonode) and anticholinergics (Atrovent) three times per day.

Dr.Jolanda