Do cholesterol and HDL levels of 230 and 84 indicate heart disease?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Cholesterol
Question: Hi there-

I am a super active 27 year old female who works out 6-7 days per week. (Usually spin classes/ hot yoga and barre classes.) I usually eat very healthy, tons of fruits and vegetable and stay away from lots of carbs. Heart disease runs in my family so I went to a free health clinic and discovered my cholesterol was 230 and my hdl was 84. Am I at a point where I should seek a doctor to discuss different medications or should I take another look at my diet? (My only vices are the occasional steak and my love for salt.)
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:

Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your Total cholesterol/HDL ratio is 2.7, which is perfectly normal.

So, there is no reason to worry about!

There is no need for any diet modification or medication, as you do not have dyslipidemia.

So, I would just encourage you to follow your healthy lifestyle.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist