question-icon

Do Chest Tightness And Coughing For Two Months Indicative Of Lung Cancer?

Posted on Fri, 13 Oct 2017
Question: Hello, I got an email from you this morning asking how I was doing. I emailed you a few weeks ago about my symptoms and unfortunately they are no better. I have been to see two doctors since. I still have this very tight chest, cough in the morning, constant need to clear my throat and feel bungled up with mucus. I feel I should get an X-ray after all this time. It's 8 weeks now. I'm worried that I have something seriously wrong like lung cancer or COPD?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman (47 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Allergic bronchitis

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am,

I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but it seems that you are having an attack of allergic bronchitis .. I would recommend that you follow this medication regimen :
1) an antihistaminic as citrizine once daily before going to bed
2) a mast cell stabilizer as singular once daily for contionous 14 days
3) a bronchodilator as ventolin every 6 hours
if no improvement occur, then I would recommend that you get a ct scan of your chest to exclude lung pathologies..

I hope you find this helpful..
if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman (42 minutes later)
Thank you for your reply. I will follow your recommendations but I don't know what a mast cell inhibitor is or where I could get it? Is this medication available over the counter?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman (19 hours later)
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, Mast cell stabilizers are medications that control cells that cause allergy and inflammation.. unfourtanetly it is not available over the counter and it requires a perscribtion from your doctor. I hope you find this helpful. if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion ..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman