Do bruises, swelling and pain from a fall require medical attention?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in General Health
Question: I fell about a week ago and now I have a large bruise which has swelled and seems to have a knot now. It is very painful to touch. Should I be concerned or let it heal on its own.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please provide some more information and upload a photo if you can.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

I need some more information about your problem.
Where is the knot/bruise localized?
How big is the bruise?
Is it getting bigger or any change during this one week?
Does it bulge when you press on it?

Please let me know this information and I will be happy to advise. It will help me have a better understanding so I can give accurate advise.

You can also upload a photo so I can have a look at it. To upload an image, simply click on the link to upload a file and follow the instructions. If this proves difficult, please send the image by mail to YYYY@YYYY and request that the image should be uploaded to your query.

Looking forward to your follow up question.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
The bruise is on my back side (butt). The bruise is mostly on the right side. It appears to be getting lighter in color. I don't completely understand the question "does it bulge when you press on it"? But I believe the answer is yes, if I'm understanding correctly.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
The healing depends on the amount of blood it has accumulated.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the follow up question.

With if it does bulge I mean if you can notice to have fluid under the knot that you feel, or if it is hard. In general small bruises should get better and heal by itself in 3-4 weeks. But if it is big, and if there is a lot of blood in it, will need a lot of time to get better until the body absorbs all the blood and sometimes it may need draining.
If it is getting better, then I am positive that you do not need to see a doctor. But watch it closely and if worse, then consider seeing a local doctor.

Kind regards,
Dr. Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana