Do babies look exactly like they are seen on 4D ultrasound?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: do babies look exactly like they are seen on 4d ultrasound on 28 or 30 weeks?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
NO. LOOK WILL BE DIFFERENT AT TERM.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) NO, babies DON'T look EXACTLY like they are seen on 4D ultrasound scan on 28 to 30 weeks. It gives gross appearance only or overall view at the time of scanning.

2) Baby will be MORE MATURE towards the term and their appearance or look will be changed gradually as the pregnancy progresses.

3) Appearance of mature baby will be QUITE DIFFERENT from immature baby at 28-30 weeks of gestational age.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood.

Dr S Patra

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 17 minutes later
i mean i got a scan today at 28 weeks and baby features were not good i mean the nose was way too big
can it be different ?
it was better in the last scan...
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
DISTORTED IMAGE MAKES HUGE NOSE ON 4D SCAN.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

Don't be worried much. It is quite NORMAL phenomena to view big nose while you undergo 4D ultrasound scan. It DOESN'T look like 2D scan.

Following reasons can explain your concern:

1) Nose looks huge due to pressing up against the sack. It is NOT realistic and depends on water content (amniotic fluid).

2) It is basically a distortion from the sound waves (during 4D Ultrasound scan), being squished against womb.

3) Immature Nasal bridge at this stage of pregnancy (28- 30 weeks) may cause something odd looking (huge nose). It will properly develop in the later months and looks NORMAL after birth.

Hope, I have answered your query and it will be helpful to understand properly. Kindly, close the discussion.

Good luck and all the best.

Dr S Patra