• question-icon

Do antidepressants cause permanent brain damage?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: hello i am taking cipralex 20 mg since 6 months i felt some improvement at the beginning but things got worse later i am again anxious now but not reaching stage of panic but i am started to worry again .

1-i have some questions what do u suggest ?

2-can ssri have long term effects on the brain?

3- can anxiety be treated without meds
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
SNRI is the next option

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your questions and understand your concerns about inadequate response with Cipralex.

Regarding your questions, I feel SNRI should be considered if they have not been tried till date. In case Effexor and Pristiq already tried the next option is TCA group of medications. If you continue to have some response with Cipralex I think adding SNRI is the option. In case there is no response on current day than replacing Cipralex with other medication is warranted.

No long term adverse effects of SSRI known till date. They show the response or side effects as long as they are continued in most cases.

Yes, anxiety can be treated without medications but often only of mild to moderate severity. In case there is severe anxiety medications become the primary thing for treatment of anxiety.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
one causes anxiety ? is it a disorder ? or its a imbalance in brain
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow-up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

Although the exact cause of anxiety is not known, it has been known since times that the causes include genetics, environmental factors, personality traits and hormonal issues.

Anxiety per se is not a disorder but if it crosses the limit and causes a disturbance in any sphere of life it becomes a disorder. I mean to say that we all feel anxiety but if we are not able to certain things due to anxiety it is a disorder.

Regarding pathophysiology, there is neurotransmitter imbalance in anxiety. In fact, medications used to treat anxiety restore the chemical balance in the brain.

I hope this assists you further.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future, if you wish to ask any more questions, you can use the below-mentioned link to contact me.

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386

Thanks and regards.

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist