Do antibiotics interfere with an RPR test?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Will taking antibiotics interfere with an RPR test? I just finished the antibiotics this morning & my physical is tomorrow.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotics doesn't interfere with RPR test.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

Probably you mean RPR as rapid plasma reagin test.You have not written clinical details.
It is a screening test for syphilis. It detects antibodies that are present in the blood of people who are suffering from the disease.

Negative test result is considered as normal.

Positive test result may mean that person is having syphilis. If the screening test is positive then it should be confirmed by more specific test for syphilis such as FTA-ABS.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX