• question-icon

Do antibiotics cause gastritis?

Posted on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Nothing sounds good and everything I think of makes me feel nauseous. Relatively normal bowels, haven't thrown up but feel like I could, sleeping well, managing to eat well but not a lot. But stomach definitely feels totally off. Took an antibiotic for three days (Amoxicillin) for sinus infection about a week ago. Stomach feels rotten and breath mirrors that. Have been eating different foods from usual but good food overall here in South XXXXXXX during travels. Just a bummer when nothing looks or sounds good.
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is antibiotic induced gastric upset.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing your query.
After reading your post, it seems that your symptoms are antibiotic induced.
Antibiotics like Amoxicillin disturb the normal bacterial flora which helps in the process of digestion.
I would advise that you should take a probiotic preparation along with an antacid like Omeprazole 20 mg. Yogurt and curd will be helpful. Eat light meals.
If the symptoms persists, get yourself clinically examined by your doctor.
I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.
Regards. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. R.A. Singh 1 hour later
Thank you. Any particular probiotics that you would suggest? L. Reuteri for sure, right? If I can find it. Bio Gaia blue for example...? Acidophilus enough? I think you're absolutely correct. Another doc suggested stomach flu but I have none of those symptoms. I will follow all your advice and would definitely agree on the probable cause. Makes sense!! Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Any probiotic and yogurt will help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your response.
You can take any probiotic preparation along with yogurt which is available near you.
I wish you good health.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. R.A. Singh

Emergency Medicine Specialist