Do antibiotics affect contraception?

Dr. Harish Naik

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi I've been taking doxycycline 100 mg B.I.D now for four days and on microgynon 50 ED but have had unprotected sex three times since starting it chances of conceiving
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are less likely to conceive

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome.
I have gone through your query.

Most antibiotics don't affect contraception. It's now thought that the only types of antibiotic that interact with hormonal contraception and make it less effective are rifampicin-like antibiotics. Doxycycline does not come under this.

From this I can say that you are less likely to conceive.

This provisional advice provided by me is based entirely on the input provided to me. I would suggest examination by the doctor.

I hope this suggestion might be of some help to you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T