Do all fats, plant or animal, create deposits in your

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 27 Mar 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Do all fats, plant or animal, create deposits in your arteries? Like coconut oil vs. butter from European, pasture-raised cows?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that the deposition in the arteries of fat (also called atherosclerotic process) is related to high cholesterol levels.

High cholesterol levels or dyslipidemia could be related to an unhealthy diet (increased fat intake or sugar) and other causes (genetic disorders, diabetes,lack of physical activity, etc.).

All plants, oils or cow meat can lead to high cholesterol levels if taken in high quantity and in an imbalanced diet.

Coconut oil contains a lot of saturated fatty acids (like butter) and it can lead to high cholesterol levels and thus the progression of fat deposit in the arteries if taken daily in high amounts.

The same is for sugar and sweats, butter, cow meat, palm oil, etc..

There are also some more healthier oils like fish oil and olive oil, which do not contain the same amount of saturated fat like palm or coconut oil.

In this regard, white meat (chicken and fish) is superior to red meat.

But when taken in small amounts there is nothing to worry.

The most healthy diet is Mediterranean diet. I would also recommend being active (aerobics, walking, recreational sports, etc.) and periodically check your blood lipid profile every 6 months, in order to be sure that everything is OK.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 19 minutes later
Thank you so much, Dr. Lliri,

Just one more Q. as follow up: Is a tea soon of something like butter or cocnut oil a large or small amount for a 195 lbs fairly athletic male?

Thanx again!

SJH
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 minute later
Sorr I misspelled your name, Dr. Sharka!
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

No, a tea spoon of butter or coonut oil per day is a low amount.

If you take it several times everyday, it can lead to dyslipidemia.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri