• question-icon

Do acid reflux and post nasal drip cause bronchitis?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi Drv
Bad case of tonsillitis in XXXXXXX Have since been dealing with post nasal drip and reflux (LPG) confirmed by ENT scope. Also had Endoscopy by Gastro- small hiatal hernia & mild gastritus. Allergy tests- positive for dust and molds. Taking PPI, Claritin. Watching diet. 5'4. 125lb. Rarely drink
Question- though infection gone, have had several incidents of coughing up rust colored phlegm. Sometimes i feel it in the back of my throat and ither times, i seem to feel chest fullness and need to cough up. (PND going down further and irritating bronchial tube?). No other coughing or shortness of breath.
Breast cancer history. 9 years now. TN. No nodes, mets. Last lung CT 11/14. Clear. Never smoked. But parents did amd mother died of lung cancer--- so i am perhaps a bit unreasonably scared by this.
Can PND- caused by reflux as they think it may be in my case-- sometimes result in blood tinged phlegm? It's haooened about 5x in the last 3 mo.
49 year old wonan in otherwise goid health.
Thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, PND and reflux can cause blood tinged sputum.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Post nasal drip is very well known risk factor for bronchitis (inflammation of airways). It is due to mechanical irritation.
Same is true with reflux.
So combination of both can definitely cause bronchitis and this inturn causes blood tinged phlegm (hemoptysis).
But since you are cancer survivor, better to get done chest x ray to rule any lung metastatic lesion because this can also cause hemoptysis.
So first get done chest x ray.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist